Jehmlich Orgelbau Dresden GmbH


 1. generation (1808-1862) Gotthold and Gottlieb Jehmlich
 2. generation (1862-1889) Carl Eduard Jehmlich
 3. generation (1889-1938) Emil and Bruno Jehmlich
 4. generation (1938-1972) Otto and Rudolf Jehmlich
 5. generation (since 1972) Horst Jehmlich
 6. generation (since 2006) Ralf Jehmlich

 

1. generation (1808-1862) Gotthold und Gottlieb Jehmlich

Johann Gotthold Jehmlich; 16.11.1781 - 04.04.1862Carl Gottlieb Jehmlich; 01.06.1786 - 15.10.1867

In the year 1808 the Jehmlich family tradition of organ building was founded by the brothers Gotthelf Friedrich, Johann Gotthold and Carl Gottlieb in the small Saxon village Neuwernsdorf/Erzgebirge. Gotthelf Friedrich built the first Saxon Jehmlich organ in Lauenstein in 1818. 1826 Carl Gottlieb completed his first independent work in Somsdorf. 1826 Johann Gotthold moved to Dresden. In 1836 Johann Gotthold was appointed Royal Saxon Court organ builder and took over maintenance and repair of the large Silbermann Organs in Dresden and Freiberg. In 1839 Carl Gottlieb received the order to build the organ for St. Mary’s Church in Zwickau and immediately set up a workshop there which his son, Wilhelm Friedrich, later took over and carried on until 1874. In regard to timbre and construction, the organs of the first Jehmlich generation all bear the same unmistakable characteristics of the Silbermann organs.

 

2. generation (1862-1889) Carl Eduard Jehmlich

Carl Eduard Jehmlich; 29.04.1824 - 07.01.1889 Gotthold's nephew, Carl Eduard Jehmlich, took over the Dresden factory and was appointed Royal Saxon Court organ builder in 1862. He created about 50 organs, among them instruments for Russia and Poland, as well as a chamber organ for the singer Jenny Lind in London. In Dresden he built organs for the Synagogue, the Opera house and the Martin-Luther-Church. As representative of the second Jehmlich generation, Carl Eduard combined stylistic innovations with the foundations of the Silbermann tradition.

 

 

3. generation (1889-1938) Emil und Bruno Jehmlich

Emil Jehmlich; 10.08.1854 - 21.12.1940Bruno Jehmlich; 22.10.1856 - 07.01.1940Jehmlich's third generation, the brothers Emil and Bruno Jehmlich, built about 450 organs, including instruments for Great Britain, Sweden, Switzerland and Mexico. In a concerted effort alongside father Carl Eduard, they created Saxony’s very first organ with pneumatic action in the year 1888. The timbre of their instruments combines a great dynamic spectrum with a distinguished wealth of colour. In 1897 the company moved into a new building with modern equipment on Dresden’s Großenhainer Street, where the Jehmlich-Orgelbau is still located today. One of the third generation's highlights, completed in 1911, is the four-manual organ in the Church of the Holy Cross in Dresden with 91 stops, including several high pressure stops and an antiphonal organ with electric action.

 

4. generation (1938-1972) Otto und Rudolf Jehmlich

Otto Jehmlich; 13.12.1903 - 27.01.1980Rudolf Jehmlich; 28.06.1908 - 18.01.1970In 1938 Otto and Rudolf Jehmlich took over the company's management. In the 34 years which followed, about 400 organs were built by the firm. The fourth Jehmlich generation distinguished itself mainly through its commitment to the German tracker organ revival, as well as through the introduction of modern technical equipment with functionally designed consoles; None the less, the traditional elements and timbre of the "romantic" period were not radically abandoned. Since 1950, slider soundboard organs with mechanical action were reintroduced. In 1963 a grand organ with 76 stops was built for the Church of the Holy Cross in Dresden.

 

5. generation (since 1973) Horst Jehmlich

Horst Jehmlich; 12.09.1944 Horst Jehmlich took over the company's management in 1973, expanding exports into various European countries and Japan. A number of important organs, such as the concert organ of the Berlin Konzerthaus am Gendarmenmarkt (IV/74), were produced in the firm deemed a state-owned manufactory in 1972. Germany's reunification in 1990 made it possible for him to reprivatise the family business, paving the way for extensive company investments. In the years that followed, organs were built for the Sumida Triphony Hall in Tokyo (III/66) and the St. Wolfgang Church in Schneeberg (III/56), just to name a few. A cooperation with the Porcellain Manufactory in Meissen in the year 2000 culminated in the very first organ ever created with real, sounding Meissener Porcellain pipes.

 

6. generation (since 2006) Ralf Jehmlich

Ralf Jehmlich; 21.03.1972 Since 2006, Ralf Jehmlich has managed the firm. He has not only taken over the duties of planning and organisation, but also focuses on implementing technical innovations and modern methods of organ construction. The firm’s exports have expanded into Poland, Slovakia and the USA. New organs were built for the First Presbyterian Church in Kerrville, Texas/USA (III/50), the Music Academy in Lodz/Poland (II/22), St. Christopher’s Catholic Church in Westerland, Sylt/Germany (II/27) and—as a world premiere—an Organ-Carillon consisting of pipes and bells made of Meissener Porcelain was commissioned for the Lalaport Mall in Yokohama/Japan. In addition to the construction of new instruments, Jehmlich Orgelbau Dresden remains true to its tradition of caring for and restoring valuable, historic organs.