The instrument was presumably built in the years 1818/1820 by the Dresden organ building workshop Kayser for the village church in Bärwalde (near Moritzburg).
When the Bärwalder church, which had become too small, had to give way to a larger church, the organ was moved to the church in Tauscha (near Radeburg) in 1866.
In 1917 the original pewter prospect pipes had to be handed in for the war economy. In 1934 these were replaced by zinc replicas by the organ builder Alfred Hippauf (Bautzen) and the organ was rearranged.
In 1975 the organ was installed in the private rooms of an organ friend in Dresden-Plauen. This third location had a low room height, so that the housing structures above the prospect pipes had to be dismantled and were lost. The pedal windchest with the sub-bass 16‘ pipes could not be found here either and was lost.
In 2014 the parish of Rähnitz acquired the instrument and stored it, disassembled into individual parts, until it was restored. As part of the upcoming church renovation, a new side gallery was built for the Kayser organ.
The aim of the organ restoration was to bring the instrument as close as possible to its original tonal and visual appearance. Due to the changes made in the past and the associated losses, this involved extensive repatriation and supplementary work. In the pedal, the disposition has been expanded to include a register (violon bass 8 ‘).
To the Kayser organ building workshop
Friedrich Traugott Kayser (* 1777, † 1824) and Carl August Kayser (* 1785, † 1824),
learned the organ building trade from their father Johann Christian Kayser (* 1750, † 1813).
According to current knowledge, the list of works by Friedrich Traugott Kayser includes around 5 new organs and repairs; only repairs of his brother can be proven so far. The organ works of the young Kayser generation cannot in all cases – as with the Rähnitzer Kayser organ – be assigned to one of the brothers without any doubt